Re: What to put on SSD

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM,  Jochen Schulz wrote:
> What you might want to find out is whether you have a G1 or G2 device.
> G2 supports the TRIM command which helps the SSD to keep up performance.
> Otherwise, performance degrades over time, especially when you keep the
> SSD nearly full. I have read Intel recommends keeping some of the space
> (5-10%) unpartitioned in order to avoid that effect.

Thanks Jochen. Lots of good information and pointers there. My SSD was actually
a G2 device. There was also newer firmware for the disk available
which I installed.

>> Maybe set noatime option,
>
> Good idea, but I do that even on traditional hard disks anyway. I am
> using 'nodelalloc' on my ext4, too.=20

Yes, I also found that I had noatime already on.

>> but do I really need to deal with other filesystems than ext3?
>
> Not really. I converted my /home to ext4, just to try it out, but I
> don't really know what I gain from that. ;-)

I haven't switched home yet, so I have only programs on SSD. But I
might also use ext4 for home.

> You might want to read Ted T'so's blog entries regarding SSDs:
> http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/category/computers/ssd/

This is where the pain starts. I started looking at this and suddenly I
was up to my neck in partition boundary alignment calculations. But
I guess I finally managed to get them right. Probably wouldn't have
made a difference even if I had skipped that part.

So far so good. Bigger programs like OpenOffice and the like start
noticeably quicker, but the difference is not as big as I thought. I'll
see how the system feels once I get home transferred also.

Pasi