Re: Software to handle bits and pieces of information.

On 08/04/2010 04:06 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
Gary Roach<gary719_list1@verizon.net>  writes:

Hi;
I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples
are notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects,
book that I might want to buy in the future and on and on. This has
generated numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes with the result
that chaos reigns. I recently tried knotes which helped a lot but
didn't cover tasks. I have now switched to Kontact. This takes care of
scheduling things, projects and short term notes. I still am not sure
what to do about those notes that could be around for a long time like
maybe  a note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy" . I may
never use it but would like to be able to find the information if need
be. I guess I need a repository for disparate information (how's that
for fuzzy). I hope this makes some sense.

There is something called kjots in kde, but I prefer the zim program.
Zim is called a personal wiki and allows any number of pages with
pretty much any type of text or links on each.  It also has searches,
a calendar, and todo items.  It doesn't have any type of appointments
or automated reminders.  Kjots seems more limited, but that might be
my lack of experience with it.  Both have debian packages.

I consider Zim to be a standout application among many favorites used over a 30 year history of personal computing. I use it -- in conjunction with Iceowl for appointments / reminders -- as an ad hoc project manager which works surpassingly well for the type of disparate projects and tasks I have to manage. Though it's still a little rough around the edges, and you can tell that it's still fairly early in its development, it supports equations (latex), GNU R plots, screenshots (scrot), spell-checking (gtkspell), and version control (bzr). And it's a hoot to use. It's actively developed, with a well-motivated primary developer who responds quickly and helpfully to bug reports. (They use launchpad.) For me it's just about a perfect combination of ease of use and versatility for a work load that simply won't accommodate the use of a more standard type of project management tool. I don't believe that I've ever had to bother to use its manual.

Come to think of it, I ought to delve into the documentation. Who knows what I might be missing?

Good luck in finding the right tool(s) for yourself. I know a lot about "fuzzy" minds and vaguely defined tasks. It's what I do for a living!

;-)