Re: failing to mount usb flash drives

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Still, when I put a couple of my flash drives into a usb slot, very little
> happens.
>
> [1183228.208121] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

Bad cable, bad/crappy USB hub, bad device, or fried USB port.  Note that if
it is not an USB port directly soldered to the motherboard, it *has* a cable
inside the chassis.

> So, unable to enumerate would be an indication of a problem then?

Yes.  And since the rest of the devices can be enumerated, it is unlikely
that it is caused by a kernel bug, so we assume it is a hardware problem.

Do check if it is an USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 devices, and check that the other
devices that DO work are also of the same type (USB 1.1 or 2.0).

  Henrique Holschuh