Re: Debian FS structure.

On Saturday 31 July 2010 10:16:50 Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 31. 07. 2010 11:37:27 je Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. napisal(a):
> > /var should be a filesystem that fully support POSIX locking
> > semantics, which
> > may mean "not NFS".
>
> Interesting. Makes me wonder how can this requirement be met when
> setting up diskless Debian clients (PXE boot over NFS)?

IIRC, some combinations of NFS server/client do support full POSIX locking
semantics.

Failing that: tmpfs and/or symlinks, possibly.  Debian doesn't store lock
files in the same location as data files, so it may be possible to partition
it further into places that need locking (tmpfs) and places that store
persistent data (nfs).

It may even be that Debian only requires /var/lock to have full POSIX locking.