Re: How is 'pppd' launched while starting

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 05:20:59 +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:

> I'm a user of DEBIAN 5.0. And I use adsl to connect to the Internet. I
> think pppd is the key program to connect. My ISP requires a MAC address
> which is different from my laptop. So, I think, I must change the MAC
> address (by using command "ip link set ethX address XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX")
> before pppd launched when starting up
> Thus, I wander how is pppd launched while linux starting, by a script in
> '/etc/rc*.d/' or in other way.
> Thank you very much.

So, basically you want to clone the MAC address of one device to another,
right? I've read about that option which is mostly included in some
neutral routers (wan routers for adsl and cable).

Check if that helps:

***
Working with MAC addresses
***

Not sure if that will also work with "pppoe" links :-?

BTW, I think network scripts are placed under "/etc/network/if-up.d/*" or
"/etc/network/pre-up.d/*".

Additional information:

***
5.5.11. The PPPoE connection