RE: [Slightly OT] Laptop battery draining in Lenny

Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 11:24:52 -0700
Subject: [Slightly OT] Laptop battery draining in Lenny
From: mamarcac@gmail.com
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

I am curious how others on this list manage their laptop batteries while using Debian.  From doing some research, there doesn't appear to be many (if any) software solutions for draining a laptop battery completely, before recharging.  So what do people on this list do - just keep running Debian on battery power until the battery totally dies, which sometimes doesn't give you ample time to shut down properly?  Or do you shutdown  when the battery reaches, say, 5%?

I just ordered a few laptop battery replacements off ebay and would like to manage them better than the ones I inherited, which were mostly dead by the time I got them.

Thanks for any ideas.

Mark

I use Tp_smapi (if you have a thinkpad that is compatible).

It is available at: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Tp_smapi

Then I run a script like this to load the kernel modules on-demand:

modprobe tp_smapi
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Error loading tp_smapi"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0  ]; then
        echo "Loaded tp_smapi"
fi

modprobe hdaps
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
        echo "Error loading hdaps"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Loaded hdaps"
fi
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
        echo "Loaded hdaps"
fi

sleep 1
echo "Setting up BAT0 charging thesholds"
echo 40 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/start_charge_thresh
echo 70 > /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/stop_charge_thresh

I would be interested in knowing if other similar kernel modules exist to set laptop battery charging thresh-holds whether they be vendor specific or generic.

-M

Turn down-time into play-time with Messenger games Play Now!