Re: Keyboard text - how get basic encoding? Not US-Intl? "%20" not space. Where change after install? KUbuntu ; jor Debian

On Qui, 29 Jul 2010, giovanni_re wrote:
I can't recall now the options for "select the kbd style", but one i
recall was like "US-Intl" (I don't recall if that was what i chose or
not).  Maybe there was also a simple "US", but I don't think so.

US-Intl is a keyboard that has the standard US layout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg) but some keys are changed to be able to type other characters. For example, ' is a "dead key" used to type the acute accent: press ' and then a and you get á.

It's useful for people with a US keyboard that need to type other languages, and they are (or at least were) popular in other countries: until a few years ago, here in Brazil almost all keyboards had the US layout, so the US-Intl map was used to be able to type the accented characters.

If you have no need for accented and other special characters, just select the standard US keyboard, not US-Intl.

--
"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."
		-- Arthur C. Clarke

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br