Re: insserv: Starting 'something' depends on stop-bootlogd and therefore on system facility $all

Mitchell Laks wrote:
Dear Gurus,

Hi i have a script in /etc/init.d/ctnscript
with a symlink
in /etc/rc2.d/S99ctnscript

when i tried to install gpm then i got a series of errors

insserv: Starting ctnscript depends on stop-bootlogd and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!

repeated over and over

now clearly something has started scanning /etc/init.d for private scripts and it does not like this script and it borks my apt-get.

i removed it from there and and all worked.

i would like to leave it there.
What to do?

I also now have warnings from inserv about other scripts such as

inserv: warning: script 'S54whatever' missing LSB tags and overrides.

how to fix that?

Your LSB tags, the headers to the scripts, are wrong. I am running Lenny so that hasn' t gotten to insserv yet, but maybe 'man insserv' will cover those.

This explains the errors that you got:
http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts/DependencyBasedBoot

Hugo