Re: Monitoring tools to use on an account

On 27/07/10 19:24, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
On 7/27/10 12:24 PM, Mike Bird wrote:
On Tue July 27 2010 09:53:40 AG wrote:
Any suggestions, please?

If you have the right to supervise a child then
supervise them.  Stay in the room and make sure
they're not surfing porn.  Do so openly.

If you don't have the right to supervise an
adult then don't spy on them.

Speaking for myself, not Debian, ...

--Mike Bird

Nobody has any right to monitor somebody else without consent or a warrant. This is a very grey area companies play in and one the supreme court and others are trying to address and have been trying to address. In some states (especially the state I'm in) even monitoring your kids or wifes activities can cross the line into being criminal, if you're not careful, especially if you break some kind of encryption to do so. I'm no lawyer.

Jordon & Mike

Thanks for your well intentioned advice. I do know that this is controversial & I am approaching this dubiously & reluctantly. However, it is my machine, my network and my home and as Jordan correctly pointed out - I am liable for what happens under my roof.

I also am vociferous against state intrusion and surveillance and find myself in a quandry about this situation. However, be that as it may, I do want to be aware of my options and will exercise the steps necessary to ensure that I am not liable for activities against my consent that are being perpetrated using my equipment, in my home, etc. When I weigh up the pro's and the con's, I am inclined toward instituting some means of monitoring activity such that I have a solid log of evidence with which to confront him, rather than either jumping off of the deep end without reason or being blind-sided by BS.

Once again, thanks you for your concern.

AG