Re: Linux filesystems was [Re: Debian cd supporting ext4.]

On Tue July 27 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> I'd also like to add that anyone smart enough to be on this list is smart
> enough to know you should have a UPS, regardless of what filesystem you
> use. If you're not you shouldn't be here.  If you disagree on the technical
> merits (not cost), you're uneducated and/or stubborn.  If you disagree on a
> cost basis, your data isn't valuable, period.  A decent low end UPS for a
> desktop system that will get you through all brown outs and far enough
> through a storm outage (15-30 minutes) to do a proper shutdown costs about
> $50 USD.  That's less than a carton of cigarettes in New York City, less
> than 3 regular price large pizzas at Dominos, and $25 less than a tank of
> gas for a full size pickup, which would last most people one week of
> commute.  The cost of one tank of gas for 3-5 years of power protection
> before needing a battery replacement.

this is something that I preach to EVERYONE who has a computer. Some people
don't understand that I leave my computer plugged in & running 24/7. they
give me a deer-in-the-headlights look when I tell them I don't turn my
computer off.  But I live in Georgia, home of MASSIVE thunderstorms. I also
live at the end of a street with 110 foot tall oak & pine trees along side
the road, and right next to our electric poles. In 5 years we have had 3
trees drop on wires & cause loss of power, and I've had up to 20+ entries in
the apcupsd.log file in ONE day, from thunder boomers. I have THREE UPSes in
my house, not just my PC, but ALL electronic equipment, TV, stero AND Dish
satellite receiver. I would NEVER plug anything electronic in, in MY house
WITHOUT an UPS.

> I guess I should evangelize UPS as much as XFS given the benefits.  Except
> XFS is free. ;)
UPSes are really cheap and EXCELLENT insurance for not only your hardware, but
your DATA. I won't even mention a company, and I DON'T work for them!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800