best way to backup a full encrypted LUKS system

Hello to everybody!

I have a system running off a fully encrypted 160GB HD using LVM over
LUKS.  Obviously, taking an image of the disk clonezilla-style is very
inefficient as I need 160GB per backup. So, regularly, I take a full tar
of the system while the system is live. This way, data will not be lost,
but in case of a disk failure, it will take some time before I set up
manually the LUKS, then the LVM, then restore the data from the tar,
restore grub, MBR etc *. Is there a better way? More efficient? How do
others deal with that?

Thanks!
G.

* By the way, I haven't tried this procedure, but my educated guess is
that it will work...