Re: python-twisted-core on my machines inexplicably still old, breaking installation of python-twisted

Just a preamble, I posted [this question on Server Fault][1], and they've
explained what's at fault:

> It often takes a few days for a package to appear in all architectures,
> because some architectures have more computing power for building than
> others. While `python-twisted-core` is architecture-independent, its source
> package is not. You can see which architectures have which versions by
> looking at the [page of an architecture-dependent package from the same
> source][2]. I see that as of today, i386 have 10.1.0-1 but amd64 still has
> 10.0.0-3. `python-twisted-mail` is from a different package that propagated
> quickly because it's architecture-dependent.

They've also explained how to fix it.

> Unless you really need the newer version, there's a very good chance that
> grabbing all your python-twisted packages from testing will solve your
> problem. The simplest way of doing this is adding testing to your
> `sources.list` (since packages from testing are older that packages from
> unstable, this shouldn't change what gets installed except if you give an
> explicit request), and manually selecting the 10.0.0-3 versions in the
> interactive UI of aptitude.

So, as of this email, this is where I stand. I'm Debian Sid on AMD64, but I
have access to Debian Testing's packages when things get a little nutty. Like
here. It's a fine workaround, but the problem still exists. With that in mind,
now is the time for me to make some replies.

[1]: http://serverfault.com/questions/163164/
[2]: http://packages.debian.org/sid/python-twisted-bin

-------------------

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:

> This is a problem with the SID repos, I double checked it myself and could
> only pull down 10.0 not 10.1, I would submit a ticket on the ticket system
> to let them know that there is a mismatch in versions. It happens since it
> is afterall very unstable and crazy in the head :P

This is why I use Debian Sid. I can identify with it.

As for the ticketing, I might do that later. I'm allright with making an utter
fool of myself on debian-user, but the actual BTS? I'm not smart enough for
that right now. Hell, I'm not really even smart enough for Debian Unstable.

-------------------

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010, 10:49 PM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:

> Do you have unofficial packages installed? I have those exact packages
> on hold now because of vodafone-mobile-connect from betavine.

Nope, no unofficial packaged installed. Everything is stock sid stuff, with
the caveat of the workaround described above. No advanced apt ninja trickery
here.

> Please post the output of 'apt-cache policy python-twisted-core'.

    $ apt-cache policy python-twisted-core
    python-twisted-core:
      Installed: 10.0.0-3
      Candidate: 10.0.0-3