Re: `Open with ...' -> Use command too

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:25:15 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> When opening a (downloaded) file, the Debian user is often (if not
> always) asked if he wants to open it, or to save it. Well, actually,
> opening it saves it in /tmp/, but that's not a problem.

Are you saying that when you select "Open with..." and choose an
application the file gets downloaded to "/tmp" and does not get opened?
>:-?

> The problem is that ticking `Open with' only gives you a list of
> choices.

The ones that are recognized by the OS in the "mimetype" database.

> You can choose `Other' and it directly opens ~/ so that you can
> select the binary which can render the related file.

Yep, in GNOME it opens the standard "file browse" menu.

> The problem is that
> it's
> * basically easier to write a command, i.e. at the place of `Open with
> ... Other', it could be interesting to have a box where you can write
> e.g. `kile' if you want the file to be opened with `kile', etc.;

Sure.

> * not
> often possible for the user to select a binary which is not in his
> directories.

You can browse the full filesystem (from "/" to lower paths). I have no
problem with that.

For commom application extensions (.pdf, .tiff, etc...), it is useful to
add them in Icewesel (programs) in order to get the right applications
displayed when you select "Open with...".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón