Re: cloning/saving system

John,

For future reference, if you want to have a basic clone (not an exact copy) of a machine, what I end up doing (which allows me to provision a machine in about 15 minutes) uses the following procedure:

1. Create a package list on the old machine [1]

        dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > pkglist.hostname

2. (Optional) Capture the drive layout [1]

      df > driveinfo.hostname
      df -h >> driveinfo.hostname
      fdisk -l >> driveinfo.hostname

3. Build the new machine with the netinst or businesscard cd. When asked what type of system to build (package selection), uncheck all the boxes.

Reboot into your new system, copy pkglist.hostname from step 1 onto the machine. Do the following:

      dpkg --set-selections < pkglist.hostname
      apt-get dselect-upgrade

This should give you a system with a nearly identical set of packages that you can then tweak to your hearts content.

[1] You can actually back these files up and have a pool of different "types" of machine. For instance, I have a workstation packagelist, a laptop list, as well as lists for the various types of bastion hosts in my network, including a wiki host (mediawiki), firewall, backup server, etc.

--b