Re: holding back buggy packages

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 15:14:16 +0200
Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:27:57 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A common use case with aptitude (interactive mode ) / apt-listbugs is:
> >
> > a) order an upgrade
> > b) aptitude downloads packages
> > c) apt-listbugs reports some serious bug in a package
> > d) I decide not to install / upgrade the problematic package, after
> > reading the short bug description, or looking it up in the BTS
> > e) hit 'n' to abort the installation / upgrade
> > f) search for the package via something like
> > '^first-few-letters-of-package', and keep looking until I find the
> > right one.
> > g) hold with '='
> > h) reorder the upgrade
> >
> > Is there any way to automate / consolidate steps e-h?  IOW, I'd like
> > some simple way to just tell aptitude: "Okay, don't install the buggy
> > package, so just redo the upgrade / installation without it"?
>
> This is not a dramatic improvement, but a bit quicker, I think:
>
> a)-e) as above
> f) hit 'g' to see the actions preview again
> g) Scroll to the buggy packages in the actions preview, where they are
>    easy to find, and use 'F' to forbid upgrades to the buggy versions.
>    (You can also use '=' to hold if you prefer; I like forbid-version
>    better because it means that I do not have to remember to remove the
>    hold once a newer, hopefully fixed, version is available.)

This seems to be a very good suggestion, but it seems that 'F' won't
work when the package isn't yet installed, i.e., when aptitude wants to
install some dependency that isn't yet installed, and listbugs flags it
as having a serious bug, I can't just go back and do 'F' on that
package, but I have to to it my way, with a hold.

Celejar