Re: Securely deleting *Windows* files (was Re: simple way to securely destroy deleted files in a file system)

On 16/07/10 02:03 PM, Mark wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:10 AM, H.S.<hs.samix@gmail.com>  wrote:

On 10-07-16 12:00 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:

Aren't you askig the wrong list?

The filesystem is vfat, files are being deleted from within Linux using
Linux tools and the partition just happens to be a Windows installation* but
could be any generic storage device. So, no.

I presume you are implying that I ask on a Windows list. Please correct me
if I am wrong. If I am not, it would be the wrong list to ask about using dd
to delete files, unless dd is developed, or at least also being supported,
by MS.

* yes, I am aware of the OS holding some information. But if you read my
original post (and the one after that) carefully, the scope of the security
is quite limited.

Not to oversimplify the situation, but focusing on the OP's original post,
why not boot to Windows, run the Eraser program (licensed under the GNU GPL)

er ... there is a fundamental problem with that. The machine in which the disk was being used is not currently functional due to a problem with the power supply. So I can't really do that at this moment (otherwise I would have done something from within Windows). Now, if push comes to shove, and I really really have only that method to follow, then I will have to use a power supply from a good machine to make the older machine boot up ... when a good machine becomes available for this.

I followed up with the dd method yesterday. Basically, I did this:
$> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/windowsdata/zeros.bin bs=4096k count=N1; rm -f /media/windowsdata/zeros.bin $> sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/windowsxp/zeros.bin bs=4096k count=N2; rm /media/windowsxp/zeros.bin

where how to determine N1 and N2 based on the free space available and the type of the filesystem is left as an exercise to the reader. :)

I wasn't aware of the application you mentioned. Thanks to you, now I am.

Regards.

ever having been read.