mount.aufs doesn't work for directory any more

Hi,

I used to be able to use mount.aufs to unify several directories and
provide a merged single directory.

>From mount.aufs man page, I should still be able to do that:

       # mount -v -t aufs br:/day0:/base none /u
       none on /u type aufs (rw,xino=/day0/.aufs.xino,br:/day0=rw:/
base=ro)
       # mount -v -o remount,\
            prepend:/day1,\
            xino=/day1/xino,\
            mod:/day0=ro,\
            del:/day0 \
            /u
       none on /u type aufs (rw,xino=/day1/xino,br:/day1=rw:/base=ro)

But seems to me, now mount.aufs insists to work on mount point only.
I.e., the first mount command will give me error:

 /sbin/mount.aufs:plink.c:223: AUFS_CTL_PLINK_MAINT: Inappropriate ioctl
for device

the 2nd:

 mount: can't find /u in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

Please help.

PS. my aufs-tools

$ apt-cache policy aufs-tools
aufs-tools: