Re: OT:Video Capture From Camcorder

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 09:44:09AM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Camcorder output is composite (two RCA jacks)
>
> I bought one device which I can't get to work. Any products known to
> work with Debian Squeeze?  I don't want to repeat my mistake.

My older video camera has a "digital" output, which accepts a firewire
jack.  If you don't have this, then the next best thing is to use the
composite output that you mentioned.  For that you'll need some kind of
capture device.  Off the top of my head, I'd recommend a Hauppauge
PVR-150.  It's an older capture card, 720x480 max, and you can probably
get them cheap on ebay or elsewhere.  That card is supported in Debian
Lenny.  It captures and encodes the video in MPEG-2 format.

-Rob