Re: Control/change the apt caching server on the fly

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 04:48:58PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Instead of specifying the caching machine in a file like /etc/apt/
> apt.conf.d/02proxy, is it possible to set the apt caching server via some
> environment variable?
>
> I want to find a way to setup my laptop so that it use my local caching
> server at home, yet easily to switch to direct connection when elsewhere.

I've got the same issue.  I was thinking of this, but I've never tried
it:

deb http://my.proxy/ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main

and get rid of your 02proxy file.

I think this might use the first deb line (which points to your proxy),
and fall back to the 2nd deb line if the first is unavailable.  Or maybe
some pinning needs to happen.  Anyway, it's an idea I've been thinking
of testing out.

-Rob