Re: Is it gdm3 that is logging me out?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 09:56:58 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Over the past few weeks there has been a change in my system behaviour.
>
> I frequently get back to my screen to find the gdm greeter inviting
> me to log in again.  At first I thought it might have been the
> screen saver, but unlike when the screensaver wants you to login in,
> all the programs that were running seem to have terminated.  In
> other words it appears I have been logged out.
>
> This is extremely annoying - edits that I might have been making are
> not saved - and more than once now I have lost quite a bit of work.
>
> I can't see how to turn this behaviour off.  The screen saver is NOT
> set to lock the screen.  I can't see any options set in /etc/gdm3
> anywhere that might cause me to get logged off after a timeout.
>
> I am sure there is a configuration controlling this somewhere.  Can
> anyone point me to it.

My first suspicion would be a crash of the X server with a subsequent
automatic restart of gdm. Do you see signs of an X server restart or
anything else that looks suspicious in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or
/var/log/Xorg.0.log.old or /var/log/syslog? Does your screensaver of
choice use fancy accelerated graphics which could trigger bugs in your
video driver that crash the X server?

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |