Kernel 2,6,32-5-686 wrecks xorg

I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.32-5-686 and now X starts and works for a
bit but then starts flickering and is unusable. This is on a Thinkpad
Z61M.

The text terminals now have small text but that is a minor issue.

I found some advice here to blacklist nouveau and put a file in
/etc/modprobe.d with "options nouveau modeset=0" but no help.

Is there any solution to this? Any way to find  a slightly earlier kernel?
(unfortunately I deleted the others)

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks