Re: basic installation question x 2

Jim Pazarena wrote:
> (a) is it possible to avoid/cancel the initial request for a user name
>    (other than root)?

Sure.  Just don't create one.  The debian-installer asks if you would
like to create a user but you can skip that step.  It is optional.

And then as the others said it is possible to use preseeding and so
forth to automate things.  Also look at FAI (fully automated install)
for one industrial strength solution.

>    My goal is to have an install routine which _after_ the base install
>    creates all the users I need, possibly in non-default locations.

I do that all of the time.  No problem.

Bob