why don't scanner permissions get assigned correctly ?

My scanner, a very old epson, shows up in dmesg:

Processor         EPSON    GT-9700          1.03 PQ: 0 ANSI: 4
scsi 11:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 3

I checked /lib/udev/rules and in the libsave rules there is a match:

# Epson Perfection 2450 | Epson GT-9700F | Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04b8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="0112", MODE="0664",
GROUP="scanner", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

The problem is that sg1 is not getting assigned to group scanner.

?

What would be just great is if there was a udev log file somewhere
which contained messages about which rule was matched and what was done.

This information is supposed to be in syslog, and probably consists of
the above message.  The problem, of course, is that it's not doing what
it says it should be doing.

Thanks.

Brian