Re: console: turning to the primary state.

Carl Johnson wrote:
> Tom <debian@virta.be> writes:
> > Sometimes after some bad output in console...
> > <broken terminal>
> >>
> >> "Ctrl+C" and sometimes "Ctrl+Z".
> >
> > Or "reset"?

'reset' should work.  It sends an escape sequence to the terminal
emulator that triggers it to initialize itself.  But the terminal
already needs to be in a relatively sane operating mode in order to
enter and invoke it.  If it isn't, then it won't.

> Sometimes it won't recognize CR either, but I have found that ^J
> (Control-J) always works in those cases.  In that case "^Jreset^J"
> should work.

Hmm...  Those address problems with the tty driver being configured
with output post processing disabled, echo turned off, raw mode turned
on, etc.  AFAIK it isn't possible to get into that state by "bad
output" to the console.

I read bad output and think that someone did something such as 'cat
/bin/sh' or some such and the binary characters to the terminal
confused the terminal emulator.  (It is almost always a terminal
emulator these days.  How many people use an actual hardware terminal
anymore?  [If you feel compelled to answer, please do so in another
thread. :-) ])

Therefore I reason that if it is an unusable terminal state due to
binary output to the terminal then I think the solution must require
some reset of the terminal emulator.

Bob