Re: A "magical" HDD formatting question.

On Vi, 09 iul 10, 12:53:55, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day.
>

> Is there a way to:
>
> . boot from internal HDD then
>
> . chroot or whatever to externel HDD (with the same Debian clone
> copy)
>
> . format the internal HDD,
>
> . move the OS back from external to internal HDD?

No. You have to find a way to unmount the partition you want to format.

> I have to do so because it is impossible for now to boot from CD/USB.
> And I want to move from ext3 to ext4.

Make a minimal installation in some space that you can spare temporarily
(ex. swap partion). Make sure that you can access both the old partition
and the external clone. Reformat as needed and clone back your system.

If this suggestion doesn't work for some reason you might want to post
more details about the disks and partitions, so we don't have to guess.

Regards,
Andrei