Re: Could a Lenny upgrade break GnuCash 2.2.6-2?

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> Yes, indeed it breaks.  We learned that the hard way.  We repackaged it
> using the newer source.  I do not know how we submit such repacking for
> backports but here are the steps we took to make it happen (edited to
> protect internal information:

I have finally gotten around to trying to build gnucash 2.2.9 in
accordance with your instructions.

> As root, install the needed packages for building
> apt-get -t lenny-backports install devscripts build-essential
> Edit /etc/apt/sources.list by adding a Lenny Backports source repository such as the following:
> deb-src http://www.backports.org/debian/ lenny-backports main contrib non-free
> Make apt aware of the repository:
> apt-get update

I was able to do the foregoing.  I was NOT however able to get past the
next steps.

> Other steps MUST not be done by root so we need another user console to do the following steps.
> We will need the 2.2.6 source deb to have all the various settings and options used by debian.
> These will be in the debian directory and is really all we need from the source deb.  We will store this in gnucash-2.2.6
> We will also need the 2.2.9 source tarball.  We will store this in gnucash which will become the deb build directory
> mkdir /download/gnucash
> mkdir /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> cd /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> apt-get -t lenny-backports source gnucash gnucash-common

You imply that since the foregoing steps must not be done as root, they
must be done as my user.  It is impossible however to make those two
directories other than as root.  Also, I don't see how I can run the
last line above other than as root.

> We need to install dependencies and this must be done as root so return to the root console and do:
> cd /download/gnucash-2.2.6
> apt-get -t lenny-backports build-dep gnucash gnucash-common

> Return to the user console
> cd /download/gnucash
> wget http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
> tar jfvx gnucash-2.2.9.tar.bz2
> mv gnucash{-,_}2.2.9.tar.bz2
> mv gnucash_2.2.9{,.orig}.tar.bz2  - This is the name format debuild will expect
> cd gnucash-2.2.9
> cp -r ../../gnucash-2.2.6/gnucash-2.2.6/debian ./
> cd debian

I suppose I will understand what follows when I see the changelog and
control files.

> The changelog is more than information; it is critical for debuild processing.
> Add something similar to the following at the top (the syntax is very fussy)
> gnucash (2.2.9-0) stable; urgency=high
>   * 2.2.6 segfaults with libglib from lenny-backports
>  -- John Sullivan <myname@mycompany.com>  Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:18:00 -0500
> Edit the control file and edit the two Replaces lines so they read:
> Replaces: gnucash-common (<< 2.2.6-3)
> Replaces: gnucash (<< 2.2.6-3)
> Edit the files file so it reads:
> gnucash-common_2.2.9-0_all.deb gnome optional
> gnucash_2.2.9-0_amd64.deb gnome optional

You specify amd64; whereas I am using intel in all three of our computers.