Re: Network crashes under heavy load

Nathen put forth on 7/7/2010 10:16 AM:
> I've just found and installed that Realtek PCI card I was talking
> about - it's an r8169 chipset card and so far I've not been able to
> crash it but as I feared, throughput is much lower, varying between
> about 580 and 650 Mbps although I'm not sure whether that's due to the
> PCI bus or the card itself?

The lowish performance is likely due to the 8169 chip itself.  Realtek low end
chips are somewhat notorious for not being able to reach wire speed.  This is
probably why the 8169 based cards are only ~$10 USD compared to ~$30 USD for
the Intel NICs, which always hit near wire speed.  Sometimes you get what you
pay for.  Like I said, this is why I always use Intel NICs.

--
Stan