Re: installing debian 5 on dell inspiron 580s

Danny Seth wrote:
hi there,

I just got a new dell 580s with windows 7 and I3-530 processor. I partitioned the drive within windows and proceeded to install debian using the latest x86 net disk (I burnt the latest 150M ISO to a CD for the installation). Everythng goes fine except that it fails to detect the ethernet adapter. I'm then prompted to pick a driver from a long list.

I called Dell to ask which adapter I had inside and they said it was the Broadcom 57788. I couldn't find this exact model number on broadcom's website but from their website I learnt that they have a bunch of drivers like tg3, bnx2 and b44. I tried all three but none works. (_http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php_)

I proceed with the install without network thinking it may work afterwords and was able to log in as root, etc. However, without the network support I can't do much.

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm thinking a kernel from Lenny backports will support your net card www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions , the easy thing to do is to drop in an older pci network card that will be supported by your current kernel.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu lucid KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263