Re: [Maxima] Bug in 'for', Maxima, Debian ?

On Wednesday 07 of July 2010 20:20:19 Raymond Toy wrote:

> > kill(all);
> > m:[];
> > for i:0 step -3 thru 10 do (m:append(m, [i]), display(i));
> > display(m);
>
> What were you expecting?  I get m being an empty list.

Empty list is OK.

> > /* This does NOT work in command window with variables */
> > kill(all);
> > a:0;
> > b:10;
> > k:-3;
> > m:[];
> > for i:a step k thru b do (m:append(m, [i]), display(i));
> > display(m);

This code not work in Debian Lenny, because this loop shouldn't execute!
In Debian it go forever. It is a bug in a stable system and stable Maxima (I
know in Debian every thing is very old but should be stable and very well
tested).

> > I work in Linux, Debian Lenny i386 with this version of Maxima:
> >
> > Maxima 5.13.0 http://maxima.sourceforge.net
>
> That's pretty ancient, even by maxima standards. :-)

I know that is very old, but I try compile in Debian (Lenny) Maxima from
source, but without success. First, the GCL in Debian is not compiled with
ANSI standard, so, I download the latest GCL from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl/gcl-2.6.7.tar.gz
and compiled it with ANSI (--enable-ansi), but there was some errors. So I
couldn't go.

Maybe is here somebody who will be show me and maybe others how to compile GCL
from source and then Maxima from source the latest version?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxima/files/Maxima-source/5.21.1-source/maxima-5.21.1.tar.gz/download

Maybe is there any how to, step by step what should be installed first and
what options should be used to compile first GCL and then Maxima especially
in Debian Lenny?

Thank you for any help.

> FWIW, I don't have this problem with your second example.  I get m being
> the empty list.

Yes this is correct answer but not in Debian Lenny Maxima.

Thank you.

> Ray

Zbigniew