Re: RAID Questions

On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 11:27:31 -0500, Kent West wrote:

> On 07/06/2010 11:13 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Second, are you sure you need a raid setup? :-)
>>

> Nope; that's why I asked if I should go RAID or some other cloning
> technique.

Is a home computer or a server/workstation? Can you (or your company)
afford a disk going down or data loss?

>> You should use (regarding raided or not) a good backup strategy :-)
>>

> Yep; I've got an external Buffalo backup appliance that I will also be
> using.

Good. Remember that raid does not prevent from the human error factor ;-)

>> I would not go that way (Intel raid tends to be "fake-raid") :-/
>>
>> If you want to use pure software raid (linux raid), there is no need to
>> setup nothing in the BIOS. Just tell the partitioner you ant to setup a
>> raid1 level between the 2 disks.
>>

> Ah. That's the piece of information I needed to get around my first
> hurdle. Thanks!

Fake-raid (firmware+bios raid) is more used on dual-boot systems (windows
and linux) when windows OS was configured for using a raid setup. In such
cases, one has no other chance and keep the fake-raid in order to use
linux :-(

But if you are not "binded" to windows, better go with "md" (software
linux) that is far more flexible and very well supported in linux.
Although I'm not sure if today md setup allows booting from raid
partition or still boot manager has to be dropped off the raid volume :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón