Re: J-Pilot and Handspring Visor

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 17:18:24 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> From: Florian Kulzer

[...]

> This is the output from dmesg:
>
> [637797.771076] usb 2-3.1: New USB device found, idVendor=082d, idProduct=0100
> [637797.771083] usb 2-3.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> [637797.771087] usb 2-3.1: Product: Handspring Visor
> [637797.771090] usb 2-3.1: Manufacturer: Handspring Inc

It does not report the creation of any device node; that is not good.
(All the udev debugging tricks that I know require that I have at least
one basic kernel name or subsystem path device node to start with.)

> >> How do I set up udev to create /dev/pilot when the hotsync button on
> >> the cradle is pressed?

Does pressing the hotsync button when the visor is connected produce
anything in the logs? (Note that I do not know much about this device; I
am mostly trying to come up with suggestions based on what I know about
the kernel and udev in general.)

> > The first step is to check if your combination of USB vendor and USB
> > device ID is listed in one of the alias lines of "modinfo visor".   Udev
> > tricks will most likely be useless if the kernel module does not
> > recognize your device as being supported.
>
> This is from the output from 'modinfo visor' (a command of which I was not aware.  Thanks, Florian):
>
> filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.32-bpo.3-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/visor.ko
> license:        GPL
> author:         Greg Kroah-Hartman <greg@kroah.com>
> alias:          usb:v0E67p0002d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> <SNIP>
> alias:          usb:v082Dp0100d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> depends:        usbserial,usbcore
> vermagic:       2.6.32-bpo.3-686 SMP mod_unload modversions 686
> parm:           debug:Debug enabled or not (bool)
> parm:           stats:Enables statistics or not (bool)
> parm:           vendor:User specified vendor ID (ushort)
> parm:           product:User specified product ID (ushort)
>
> That last alias line matches the vendor and product ID, so that looks
> good.  So, is there a way to have udev created /dev/pilot when the
> hotsync button is pressed?

The main question is if any device node is created at all; if I remember
your previous message correctly, you said that not even a /dev/ttyUSBx
appears after you plug in the visor. That looks like a problem with the
kernel module to me, even though it should know your device based on the
modinfo-alias output.

I propose to do the following: Run "tail -fn0 /var/log/syslog" in one
terminal window so that you see all new syslog messages (until you hit
CTRL-C to exit.) Then you can use another terminal window to try:

- Load the visor module with debugging enabled "modprobe visor debug=1"
  and then plug in the device.

- Tell the visor module explicitly that it should operate your device:
  "modprobe visor debug=1 vendor=0x082d product=0x0100". I would try
  both loading the module with these parameters and then connecting the
  visor, as well as loading the module like this with the visor already
  plugged in.

(Unload the module with "modprobe -r visor" every time before you try
 changing parameters.)

Hopefully the debug mode will result in some clues (or at least a good
starting point for a targeted Google search) in the syslog.

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |