Re: USB connection to Cablemodem, cdc_ether, resolvconf?

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Lu, 05 iul 10, 13:07:51, Paul Chany wrote:
>>
>> I have loaded kernel modules for USB-Ethernet card:
>> lsmod gives me the following:
>> [snip..]
>> cdc_ether  4672  0
>> usbnet    14024  1  cdc_ether
>> [..snip]
>>
>> I run resolvconf to setup nameservers:
>>  # cat file_with_nameservers | resolvconf -a eth0
>>
>> so after this command abowe I get the file:
>> /etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0
>>
>> with nameservers.
>
> resolvconf is not meant to be used "by hand", you have to add
>
>         nameservers 8.8.8.8
>
> or whatever to /etc/network/interfaces
> Note: "nameservers" (ending with s) is not a typo, because you can
> specify several nameservers (three?) separated by spaces

Aha, so here goes nameservers definitions on Debian Lenny?
I remember on Debian Etch I used for this /etc/resolv.conf file.

So the form is:
nameservers 2.2.2.2 3.3.3.3 4.4.4.4 ??

>> Still I can't reach the Internet:
>> ping www.google.com
>
> Can you ping outside addresses (for example the nameserver itself) by
> IP?

No.

> Please also show the output of 'ifconfig -a' after loading the modules
> above.

I can't to paste here the exact ouput of 'ifconfig -a' command but have
the following interfaces: lo, eth0 & eth1. I use another PC Box to mail
here for help.

So I find the cause of my problem, I think! eth1 is the usb-ethernet
device and not eth0. eth0 is there because I used it when I installed on
this PC Box the present Debian Lenny system, but through an Ethernet
card. But now I want to configure this Box through USB port of a Cable
modem, so that's why is there the eth1 interface.

So, when I give today morning the MAC address to my ISP, I give the
Ethernet card MAC address, instead of the USB-Ethernet aka eth1 MAC
address to associate it with my new static, public IP address!

I will correct this soon as possyble (here was a storm and my ISP is
busy now ;).

--
Regards,
Paul Chany