Re: USB connection to Cablemodem, cdc_ether, resolvconf?

On Lu, 05 iul 10, 13:07:51, Paul Chany wrote:

> I have loaded kernel modules for USB-Ethernet card:
> lsmod gives me the following:
> [snip..]
> cdc_ether  4672  0
> usbnet    14024  1  cdc_ether
> [..snip]
>
> I run resolvconf to setup nameservers:
>  # cat file_with_nameservers | resolvconf -a eth0
>
> so after this command abowe I get the file:
> /etc/resolvconf/run/interface/eth0
>
> with nameservers.

resolvconf is not meant to be used "by hand", you have to add

        nameservers 8.8.8.8

or whatever to /etc/network/interfaces
Note: "nameservers" (ending with s) is not a typo, because you can
specify several nameservers (three?) separated by spaces

> Still I can't reach the Internet:
> ping www.google.com

Can you ping outside addresses (for example the nameserver itself) by
IP?

Please also show the output of 'ifconfig -a' after loading the modules
above.

Regards,
Andrei