Re: First Debian Installation: totally brain-dead. Where do I go from here?

On Friday 02 July 2010 19:23:50 Joe wrote:
> In those days I was using fixed addresses on my couple of network
> machines, and so was not running dhcp on the sarge machine. Apparently,
> if during the installation, a dhcp server was not found, and you hadn't
> picked the expert install, you didn't get offered networking. A feature,
> not a bug.
>
> As it happens, I was experienced enough to get it working, but the
> situation might have come as a surprise to a beginner, someone who might
> know enough from Windows to configure networking, but not feel confident
> enough to try the expert install (or maybe not even knowing it existed).
>
> These days I do run dhcp, and always use the expert mode after that
> experience, so I've no idea whether more recent distributions behave the
> same. But they might.

No, they don't.  If they can't find a DHCP network, you get offered the chance
to do a manual network set-up.  In fact, last time I installed I was able to
set the network up manually by choice, without going via a failed DHCP (I
have DHCP enabled on my router for the benefit of laptop users), But I can't
remember what I had to do.

Lisi