Re: First Debian Installation: totally brain-dead. Where do I go from here?

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Keith Mitchell <kpmitchell@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Guys:

Looks like a serious operator malfunction on my part. My first time
with an internet install. In the past, I had a CD with the whole
distribution on it.

This is something I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet.  It _seems_ from this email list that the preferred installation method is netinsall/minimal install.  Personally I only use CD or DVD images and this email thread is a good example why.  A CD is downloaded so quickly these days, most likely taking less time than you have spent/will spend trying to get the minimal install working.  I wonder if you download the CD .iso and install from that on this same machine, if you would  be having those problems.  Sure seems like an easier path than the one you're on, unless the point of your installation is to build from ground up and only install certain packages, but that's not how I've read your post.  If a user's goal is to install Debian and get it up and running with the least amount of headaches, it's tough to argue against installing from a CD or DVD image.

Just my $0.02, keep the change.  :)

Mark