Re: Misleading Debian's installer choice

Rob Owens wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:26:56PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Mark wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Merciadri Luca
>>> <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be
>>> <mailto:Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Mark wrote:
>>>
>>>     > Yes, but you said this wasn't for beginners in your original post so
>>>     > if a non-beginner can't get the Bootable Flag set up on the right
>>>     > partition to boot, they are not a non-beginner...so this point
>>>     > probably doesn't apply.
>>>     >
>>>     Okay. But why allowing something that has no interest to be done,
>>>     to be
>>>     done, be it by a beginner or not?
>>>

>>> Good point.  Maybe the code didn't fit into the Debian Installer to
>>> determine which partitions to allow the user to make bootable?  Your
>>> guess is as good as mine.
>>>
>> Same applies for the fact of checking at least two times `/stuff/', for
>> different (at least two) partitions. If the effect of using such a
>> scheme is documented, this might be interesting to understand what it
>> does. But it does not look documented, and I don't understand i) what
>> could happen if I used such a scheme; ii) its reason to be there.
>>

> Seems like a good reason to file a bug report, if you ask me.  Before
> doing so, you might want to actually try an installation like that.  Who
> knows, maybe the installer will throw an error on the next screen.

Maybe (for the possibly thrown error). I don't know, and I can't test
nowadays because I simply don't have another PC which could receive a
new Debian install. But if somebody can test, I would appreciate
receiving the results.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.