Re: how to set up a wireless access point

On 01/07/10 01:53 PM, lee wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 03:26:25PM -0400, H.S. wrote:
>
>> First you need to make sure that your wireless card has the ability to
>> act as an access point. Next, you need to find which Linux driver
>> supports that card (madwifi or hostapd are my best bet). Then the final
>> step is just configure that card using the relevant driver.
>
> It's a Dlink card; I used it for a while to connect my computer to a

Which one? Can it be used as an AP?

> router, but I switched to a wired connection because wireless sucks.

I have a Windows 7 machine running only on wireless. The worst case is
that I have to restart hostapd on my wireless AP machine. For the most
part it appears to be working fine, though I am not getting my wireless
connection at the max rates speed of 54 mbps (usually get around 1mbps).
But wired lan is more stable any time compared to a wireless lan.

>> As an example, I have DLink DWL-G520 card working as an AP in my linux
>> router machine (running Debian). I am using hostapd as the driver.
>
> Cool --- sounds easy enough then. I'm just not sure yet if it's
> actually worthwhile and wanted see if there's much work involved.

Install Hostapd and configure its file in /etc/ for wireless
configuration. Further, I have the following in my
/etc/network/interfaces file for the wireless card:
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
        address 192.168.5.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.5.0
        broadcast 192.168.5.255
And some of the most important options from my hostapd.conf are:
interface=wlan0
driver=nl80211
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=HSWirelessAP
hw_mode=g
channel=6

Put the wireless card on its own subnet. My wired lan is 192.168.0.x and
wireless lan on 192.168.5.x.

Install dnsmasq (or any other dhcp server), makes it easy to give IP
addresses to WLAN clients.

Allow forwarding for proper flow of network traffic, and allow traffic
between different subnets if you have a firewall running (I do this with
my iptables script, but other tools are equally good, shorewall?)

Just post here if you are stuck on any of the above steps.

ever having been read.