Re: how to delay boot when waiting for usb disks?

You are on testing?

Martin Kraus <lists_mk@wujiman.net> writes:

> Hi. I need to mount a usb disk during boot so that daemons writing to the disk
> start. The problem is that usb-storage takes time to set up block devices and
> it does this in the background so it depends on many factors if it makes it
> before mountall.sh is called.
> Is there some way this can be accomplished in debian without explicit sleep 20
> in mountall.sh?

Google seems to suggest these solutions:

a) rootdelay=xx

http://stoilis.wordpress.com/tag/rootdelay/

He uses 35 seconds, most people seem to go for a smaller value like 10.

b) udev

http://blogs.nonado.net/diamond/2010/03/27/mounting-usb-drives-at-boot-using-udev-on-debian/

However, I did not test or use any of these, so ...

Memnon