Re: Misleading Debian's installer choice

On Ma, 29 iun 10, 17:15:38, Joey Hess wrote:

> The mental model that most non-beginners should have is that the system's
> root is / , which is where some system disk is mounted, and that additional
> disks are mounted to other mount points in the tree. The disk mounted at /
> is not a special case in not containing everything under /  -- the disk
> mounted on /home does not necessarily contain everything under /home either.
> (I may have another (larger) disk mounted on /home/joey.)

I just had a vision of the mount point selection displayed as a tree,
where one can see and move the partitions between the mount points (mc's
tree view comes to mind). The tree should be easily expandable and
collapsible, to be able to access mount points for advanced setups (like
/var/spool). Forbidden mount points (/etc, /sbin, ...) should be hidden
though.

Let's see if I can draw something that makes sense:

/       - /dev/sda1 (9,2 GiB)
/boot
/home   - /dev/sda2 (19 GiB)
  |- big   - /dev/sda4 (103 GB)
/tmp
/usr
/var    - /dev/sda3 (9,2 GB)
  |- spool
  |- log

Would something like this make sense for the installer?

Regards,
Andrei