Re: dpkg error code 2

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 03:51:31 -0700
ph <hpypenguin.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the following error while attempting an update and continue to get that
> error when I run 'dpkg --configure -a'.
>
> dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 46290 package
> 'libgnome-menu2':
>  missing version
>
> I've never been much good at fixing dpkg issues. Any suggestions?

I think that means that the file is corrupted.  *Why* is a good
question, but you can try running "dpkg --clear-avail" and see if that
solves the problem (I'd suggest first making a backup of the file for
future reference / troubleshooting / bugreporting), as per here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dpkg/+bug/326037

Celejar