Re: Req. Advice from Lazy Web on Configuring 1.5TB extern. HD

>> 1) ext2 to image / from my debian install. 50GB so I could have two or
>> three "snapshots"
>
> Why ext2? I don't see any reason to use something less than ext3 for
> "regular" operations.

Ext2 because who needs journaling? It will have three, maybe four
files on it, each about 10GB. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
think anything else out there is as fast as ext2, when it comes to
writing large files.

>> 2) ext4 encrypted for my /home/arthur/documents folder as backup

Thanks for tips about encfs.

>> 3) ntfs? encrypted for girlfriends "my documents/documents" folder.
>> 4) 700GB for backups of pictures from both Debian and XP.. filesystem ... ntfs?
>> 5) 700GB for movies, which would be served (via Debian) to a ps3, not
>> backups, primary storage. Ntfs?
>
> You only need ntfs if you expect the drive to be *directly* connected to
> a Windows computer or some other device that doesn't understand extX
> filesystems. If the drive will only be connected to a Debian machine and
> the partitions accessed via samba the Windows computers doesn't access
> the filesystem.

Appreciate the feedback,

Best,
AM