How do I recover from modprobe mistakes?

Greetings:

Last night I was playing around with a new install on my IBM R40 laptop. I'm making this a lean, fast system. I loaded just the base system and was building from there. I was looking for some monitoring tools and tried lm_sensors (I did the sensor-detect) and then discovered that some Thinkpads can be damaged (messes with the EEPROM security chip) by the scan process and/or the i2c-i801 module and I was looking at what I needed to do to back away from this.

I thought that when I'd originally done a modprobe -l there had been only a half a pagefull listed there, but later when I did the same command there were many more modules listed. I recall trying to do a modprobe -l with a wildcard as I was looking for a particular module and I goofed and left out the -l . Which leads me to question #1: Could I have accidentally loaded a whole group of available modules?

Question 2: Is it possible for me to list modules by the date that they were installed? I'd especially like to know when the i2c-i801 module was loaded.

Question 3 & 4: Lsmod currently lists about 67 modules loaded; is that normal for a basic system? If not, then must I install the system all over again to revert to a less-cluttered state?

Please cc me since I am not currently on the list.

Postid