Re: repositories for AMD 64 apps

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 11:19:23 -0500
John W Foster <jfoster81747@verizon.net> wrote:

> TO ALL: anyone that knows of ANY applications, drivers, that are
> designed to run in native 64bit AMD architecture especially those with
> GPLed source code available...Please send me the site of the apps, if
> they are your creations I would like to package them for Debian. I am
> not a Debian developer and not qualified to repackage them for Debian
> distro. I will however make those available for public consumption if
> you wish it, on a non-developer site. Its a real shame that I waited 5
> years to build a proper 64bit system then I discover there is VERY
> little native 64bit software available.

Hi,

I am using Debian on amd64 architecture since a long time (even before
Debian etch), and there are *plenty* of apps available.
(Just look at your apt-cache stats output).

The only apps that needed the 32-bit libs/chroot around were wine and
the non-free flash plugin. Initially I think openoffice had to be run
in a chroot too, but that was quickly solved.

What software are you using that does not have a 64-bit package?

Best regards,
--Edwin