Re: New amd64 system needs flash player

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:32:40 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 10:31 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> If got that file ("libflashplayer.so", pure 64-bits) installed in my
>> system (it's about 9.1 MiB and *is vulnerable* to some recently
>> discovered flaws which were not corrected for version "10.0.45.2").

(...)

> Thanks send it & I,ll look at it. I have what is 'supposed' to be a pure
> 64 bit libflahplayer.so that I got from Ubuntu. It will not install. I
> tried just placing the lib in ~/lib64 but that did not work. I welcome
> any possible solutions.

I'm preparing the file right now. I'll packet it as "tar.bz2".

To check the file type you can issue:

sm01@stt008:~/Desktop$ file libflashplayer.so
libflashplayer.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, stripped

The "ELF 64-bit" tell you about the architecture nature of the file :-)

> If you have it working where did you place the lib so that Iceweasel
> etc. could find it??

Here I'm running Lenny with stock Iceweasel (3.0.6). In this browser
release, the plugins have to be dropped under "~/.mozilla/plugins/
libflashplayer.so" (I had to manually create the "plugins" folder).

If you want all your users make use of the plugin, I guess it has to be
dropped under "/usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so". But
remember that if you leave the "Adobe crap-Flash" plugin in this
location, it will take preference over the free one (Gnash).

Just make your own tests.

And remember: the plugin I am sending you is *vulnerable* to some attacks
that also affects linux users. Use with caution :-/

Greetings,

--
Camaleón