Re: Understanding my recurrent network connectivity problems

On 06/25/10 05:57, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For one week now, I sometimes `loose' any access to the LAN and the WAN.
> Here is the way I am connected to the Internet:
>
> ISP (house's wall) -> ISP modem (RJ-45) -> D-Link DIR-635 router (RJ-45)
> -> Switch (RJ-45) -> 192.168.0.101 (this computer).

<SNIP>

> I can't understand this problem. Any idea?

I would try a few things to narrow down the cause. Make sure you are
running one and only dhcp server on your lan. Try by giving your
computer a fixed lan address. Check the computer's log (/var/log/syslog)
to see if there are any messages regarding network problems around the
time you face them. Use ifconfig command to see if your interface is
having any errors.

Finally, if everything seems to work okay yet the problem still occurs,
very often it is just defective cable. Try replacing it and see if that
helps.

ever having been read.