Re: Understanding LVM UUIDS

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:42:28 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> On 06/23/2010 03:30 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:02:36 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:
>>> Whether or not these are his reasons, I can tell you why that is a
>>> wise move. UUIDs are unique to the device/filesystem. The major
>>> advantage of using UUIDs is that you don't have to worry about
>>> reordering of disks by the kernel when it sees it in a different order
>>> than previous.
>>
>> Yes, I know.
>>
>> But if the installer has setup (by its own) as default method for
>> naming devices the old one and I am not experiencing any problem with
>> that, for sure I won't change that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>
> Sure. But you can also avoid breakage through proper administration.

Or you can generate further problems... who knows.

The point here is that things are working properly with the current
configuration, so why change it?

>>> This isn't recommended, because if the Linux kernel developers change
>>> drivers, and the drives become a new device (just as it happened when
>>> ditching the PATA driver for SATA, and /dev/hda became /dev/sda), your
>>> partitions/volumes won't mount. Instead, you should either be using
>>> LABELs or UUIDs.
>>
>> I know, I know... but Lenny developers decided to go this way for any
>> reason and I will respect that. I'm aware that nowadays any modern
>> distribution is using "uuid" or "id" at least in "/etc/fstab" but as I
>> said, I still have not seen any good reason to change it.
>
> So, you blindly accept what the developers think is good for your
> system?

Sure! :-)

I expect developers take the right (and conscious) decision on these kind
of issues. They know (or should be aware) better than me the keys of
every released version and the choose for going one direction or another
is theirs.

> I understand they're developers for a reason, but even
> developers make mistakes. And having "/dev/sd??" in your /etc/fstab just
> might be one of them.
>
> FWIW, when the kernel switched disk drivers from PATA to SATA for
> identifying IDE drives, I had already moved my /etc/fstab to UUIDs, and
> I didn't have a problem with the upgrade. Friends of mine, however, got
> to rescue their system, because it wouldn't boot. To each their own.

I will change it as soon as I get any problems, I promise :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón