Re: Understanding LVM UUIDS

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:02:36 -0600, Aaron Toponce wrote:

> On 06/23/2010 09:47 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 09:40:22 +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
>>> I feel I should move my entire /etc/fstab over to using uuids
>>
>> Mmm... any strong reason for doing that? :-)
>
> Whether or not these are his reasons, I can tell you why that is a wise
> move. UUIDs are unique to the device/filesystem. The major advantage of
> using UUIDs is that you don't have to worry about reordering of disks by
> the kernel when it sees it in a different order than previous.

Yes, I know.

But if the installer has setup (by its own) as default method for naming
devices the old one and I am not experiencing any problem with that, for
sure I won't change that. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

>> I'm with Lenny and the old naming method ("/dev/sdx") is the default
>> for "/etc/fstab".
>
> This isn't recommended, because if the Linux kernel developers change
> drivers, and the drives become a new device (just as it happened when
> ditching the PATA driver for SATA, and /dev/hda became /dev/sda), your
> partitions/volumes won't mount. Instead, you should either be using
> LABELs or UUIDs.

I know, I know... but Lenny developers decided to go this way for any
reason and I will respect that. I'm aware that nowadays any modern
distribution is using "uuid" or "id" at least in "/etc/fstab" but as I
said, I still have not seen any good reason to change it.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón