Re: Torrents killing my connection

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 04:30:56AM -0400, ABS Doug wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Huang, Tao <debian@huangtao.me> wrote:
>
> > so the torrents render you wireless disconnected.
> >
> > if your wifi adapter driver supports auto-reconnecting, everything
> > should be solved. but i have no idea on how to get there.
> >
> > correct me if i get it wrong.
>
> My visual indicator something is wrong is when Skype goes offline. The
> signal meter shows a connection, but once Skype goes offline, I can't
> do anything until I disconnect & reconnect. I'd be able to live with
> the problem if there was a auto-reconnection, but since the connection
> doesn't actually disconnect...?

I have no real help to your specific problem, but you need to provide
some solid useful data so others can debug the problem. Based on stuff
in the other thread about what versions work and don't work, and the
above, I recommend you do the following:

1. provide for each of the two Ubuntu's and Debian the output of:

uname -a

2. provide for each of the two ubuntu's and debian the output of:

lsmod

3. provide for the working ubuntu the output of:

ifconfig -a
iwconfig -a

4. provide for the broken ubuntu and debian *before* it breaks:

ifconfig -a
iwconfig -a

5. provide for the broken ubuntu and debian *after* it breaks, but
before you do whatever you might do to fix it:

ifconfig -a
iwconfig -a

6. from any one of the version, provide the output of:

lspci

7. in the debian version, open a terminal and run, as root, `tail -f
/var/log/syslog`, then start a torrent that you know will fail. Watch
the log output in the terminal and when the torrent fails note if
there is any output. If there is any output that looks remotely
relevant, then paste that in as well.

The idea here is to give concrete information about known working
states and known broken states so people can see the difference and
maybe diagnose the problem.

The output may be pretty long, so if you are uncomfortable submitting
it in an email, then put it up on the web somewhere. A pastebin would
be appropriate.

hope this helps.