Re: [OT] First computer

On Saturday, June 19, 2010 02:08:03 pm Miles Fidelman wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> > I had a homebrew system built around a Zilog Z80-MCB in the late
> > seventies.  Tape storage (I never did get the head-per-track 1MB drives
> > from Newman Computer working right), a surplus OCLC terminal, and a
> > Selectric printer with homebrew electronics.  The first computer I
> > programmed was an IBM 1620 in the mid sixties, though.  An odd machine.
>
> Ahh the Z80 - I remember that chip fondly - a buddy and I built a family
> of machine control boxes around it (for photo processors), back in the
> late 1970s.
>
> It continually amazes me that the devices are still in production and
> widespread use.  It could well be the most popular chip ever made for
> embedded applications.
>
> Miles Fidelman
Hi Guy's,
My first computer built be me, was the Intel chip 8008. long before the 8080
and the Zilog z80.
I did try the 4004, but it had too many problems.
The 8008 was bootstrapped with switches at first, then I built a diode matrix
to start up the system, much faster, then I interfasted a rom again from
Intel. the memory was 8KB and was driven by the CPU and ana a unit I built to
work with the dynamic memory.
Those were the days when men were men and systems were built by men.!!!!!
Gerald