Re: Nouveau driver and kernel 2.6.32-5

On 2010-06-18 01:01 +0200, Stephen Powell wrote:

> The nouveau X driver now apparently works even if modeset=0 is specified
> as a nouveau kernel module parameter.

It does not, unless the module is loaded with modesetting enabled
somehow.  Maybe you got the vesa driver instead of nv.

> I also found by experimentation that blacklisting the driver does not
> work.  The nouveau X server explicitly loads it.

X runs modprobe without the "-b" option, so blacklisted modules that are
not loaded when udev starts will be loaded now.  IMO this is a bug.

> You must explicitly specify the nv driver in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you want to use it instead of nouveau.  But
> specifying modeset=0 as a kernel module parameter does seem to get the
> hardware text video modes back on the text console, even if the nouveau
> driver is used by X.

This means that the option works when the module is loaded by udev.

Sven